John Carter trailer


The first trailer for Disney's John Carter (of Mars) has been released. It looks better than I imagined it would. It's clear they're keeping the book in the setting that it was written and set in, not updating it for and to modern audiences- the book was written in 1913 and was set in that current time! Bravo for that choice! Although we only see Thark close up, I think it looked rather well done. John Carter and Dajah Thoris appear to be well casted, too. I am doubly excited about this film, now.
I love that the film appears to be told from the voice of Edgar Rice Burroughs, just as the book was written. Burroughs wrote it as if he were transcribing a letter he received from John Carter. This makes the actual historical person of Edgar Rice Burroughs a character in the story. It either breaks the fourth wall, or presents the fiction as biography. I am a sucker for this type of literature.
Another thing I absolutely loved about the trailer is the song the editor chose. My Body is a Cage by Arcade Fire but this sounds like it's performed by the almighty Peter Gabriel. An amazing and natural combination that fits this preview.
Given the age of this story, I will find critics claiming it ripped off Star Wars or Dune quite humorous as THEY ALL drew influence from Burrough's Carter stories.


Comments

  1. Jeffry...that IS Peter Gabriel...Arcade Fire COVERED it!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outiYpazvcA

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's what I was going to say, Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, guys. As much as I love Peter Gabriel (and believe me.......) that Arcade Fire version is golden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Labels

Show more